Smoky Bacon Wrapped Shrimp
Everything in its Place
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon cayenne
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 pounds large shrimp (about 30 count total), peeled and deveined
- 9 smoked bacon strips, cut in half
- In a small glass or plastic bowl, combine sugar, garlic, oil, lemon juice, chili powder, paprika, cayenne, salt and oil. Add shrimp and toss well; cover and refrigerate for at least 60 minutes but overnight is best.
- Prepare grill by lightly coating with vegetable oil and preheating it to medium high heat (about 400 degrees).
- Remove shrimp from marinade and discard marinade.
- Wrap each shrimp with a piece of bacon and secure with a toothpick or small skewer (see note).
- Grill bacon-wrapped shrimp for 3-4 minutes on each side until bacon is crisped and shrimp are cooked through. Serve immediately.
Note: If using skewers on the grill please soak them in water for about 30 minutes prior to using so that they don’t catch fire while cooking.